I was told once in an interview that my personality would be better suited for customer service rather than sales. I didn't argue with that. I don't think I am anywhere near outgoing enough to make a living selling anything. I have spent a lot of time over the last week talking to people who at least think they have the personality it takes to make a living selling cars.
My car is on its last leg as something my mechanically deficient self can take care of. Too many miles with too little maintenance on my part. It was time to get something different. If I am disciplined, I don't have to drive much, so we decided to head the opposite direction of everyone else. Rather than a gas sipping miniature car, we decided to look at trucks and SUVs. I walked around lot after lot in the heat with vultures in tow trying to figure out what to get. Some of the salesmen were slick and seasoned, some of them were new and raw. All of them could give me the best deal in town. It takes a special person to sell cars. You have to be able to lie. You have to be able to fake expertise about every car on your lot. You have to be able to change your opinion at a moment's notice. You have to be able to ignore simple directions like contact me via e-mail since I will not be answering my phone. My opinion of the car salesman certainly wasn't affected positively this week.
I wasn't sure what sort of car I wanted. For the most part, I didn't care about colors. I didn't care about options. I didn't care about extended warranties. I just wanted a good car at a good price. It was like pulling teeth to get actual answers from these guys (and one woman). I am an over researcher, and I like to have as much information as possible. I was reminded that this is in direct conflict with what they want. I stood my ground pretty well, but I am pretty worn out by having to hold my cards so close and act outside of that part of me that wants to assume that people are basically decent and not out to screw you over.
My only experience buying a car, when we bought my wife's care, was a much simpler experience. She knew what she wanted. We found a dealer by e-mail that would get us exactly that at a price a little less than we were expecting to pay, so we bought it. No suprises, no pressure. I had gone into this hoping for a similiar ease, but around 9:30 last night signing papers on a 4Runner, I was a little relieved to finally be done with the painful process. We'll see how the car treats me, but I can at least be happy that I have finished my trek to find the a car.
Recent Playlist:
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely
The Comas - Spells
The Cave Singers - Invitation Songs
The Brother Kite - Waiting for the Time to Be Right
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
Retribution Gospel Choir - S/T
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
Doug Burr - On Promenade
The Cure - Faith
Guster - Keep It Together
The Mountain Goats - Coroner's Gambit
Sigur Ros - The New Ridiculously Named Album
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Bob Dylan - Blood On the Tracks
Andrew Osenga - Letters to the Editor, Vol 1
Matthew - Everybody Down
Oneida - Seeds of Contemplation
Creeper Lagoon - Watering Ghost Garden
Damien Jurado and Gathered in Song - I Break Chairs
Gazelle - Sunblown
The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday
Jason Collett - Idols of Exile
1 comment:
You left out the part about the floor mats.
Post a Comment