Friday, August 29, 2008

Being Creepy, Old, and Tall

I usually end up doing a lot of my concert going by myself because no one else I know up here has quite the same musical tastes and/or is as interested in seeing shows as me. Flying solo isn't something I really like, but I am quite used to it now. I just get to feel like the creepy tall, old guy standing by himself and blocking people's view. Most of the time it is worth it though. The next few months are shaping up to be a pretty good time for concerts in Dallas. It's always nice when the shows are here rather than Denton or Fort Worth especially when they are on "school nights."

Shows I am looking forward to:
Why? with Mount Eerie - Been listening to Why? a lot of the last couple of years. Elephant Eyelash never got old, and I think Alopecia may be even better. I don't know what to expect from them live, but I can't imagine they would be bad. I'm pretty new to Mount Eerie, but I am liking everything I have heard so far.

The Punch Brothers - Haven't heard one bit of their music yet, but I figure any band from Chris Thile will be a blast to see live.

The New Year - After switching ipods and noticing that The End is Near is the most played complete album I own, I realized that they have quietly (and very mopingly) become one of my favorite bands. I really enjoyed them the first time I saw them a couple of years ago, and I hear the new album is great.

Mountain Goats - Glad these guys are finally playing a show that I can actually catch. I even have my lovely wife coming with me to this one. She has taken quite a liking to their dark humor when combined with bouncy music. I am excited by the fact that I get to see a band I really like for the first time, and I'll even be sitting with a pretty girl for this one rather than being the creepy old guy standing by myself.

R.E.M. - Get to cross another band off the list of bands I have always hoped to see some day. The first cd I ever owned was Out of Time. I didn't even have a cd player at the time, but I traded a comic book for it I think. Don't listen to a whole lot of Shiny Happy People these days, but I have gained quite an appreciation for just about everything they have done. The old stuff is classic, the new album is great, and I'll defend Up to anyone. I can't believe I actually forked over the cash to see them, but I'll be there loving every minute of it...even though those minutes probably cost a dollar each.

Danielson - Always a treat. I have seen some form of Danielson about 5 times. Like the music or not, they are an entertaining live show. I like them a lot, so it is doubly good for me.

I can't believe the number of really great shows coming through town between now and November. If I wasn't old, had unlimited funds, didn't want to go see Aggie Football, didn't have to wake up and go to work, and had lots of people to go to shows with, I'd probably make it to a bunch more. The Magnetic Fields, Ben Folds, The Swell Season with Iron and Wine, Neko Case, TV on the Radio, David Wilcox, Spiritualized, the list goes on. I can't complain too much though. I'm pretty excited to catch the ones I have on the schedule.

No comments: