I haven't necessarily looked forward to going to work lately. Today was no different. The weekend of being sick wasn't all that exciting, but a day at home even when sick is almost without fail been light years better than a day at work. I haven't had a great attitude towards my work, and work has given a lot of pressure to get things done. I usually have a hard time separating the drain of work from the rest of my day.
Today was an especially long work day. I got there at normal time, stayed through lunch, and then ended up not making it out until about two hours later than usual. I once again left with a bad taste in my mouth from the day. I spent the day working hard on my part of our current insane project, along with getting things ready for an important release that we had planned for this afternoon, but in the end, after my part had gone smoothly, someone else's part didn't. We missed another deadline. We will limp in again tomorrow and try to fix things. I go into all of this mess for two reasons. First off, I needed to do a bit of venting. The second and far more important reason is that for once, it didn't effect my evening. Until I started writing this, it was far enough from my mind that I hadn't even thought about it. I got home and rested a bit while watching the Mavs end their streak, then got to thinking about how I could serve my wife. She was out for the evening. I decided that the best thing I could do right then was to clean up the kitchen. It was a small thing, but I see it as another layer removed from the callous that I have built up lately.
Today I spent some more time in Colossians. I was in the second part of the second chapter. In my good ole' NIV Study Bible, it is titled something along the lines of "Freedom From Human Regulations Through Life With Christ." Once again, the passage hit me quite a bit differently than it did several years ago. I think that the ways I try to use to "define" my life in Christ are far different than they were several years ago. The best way I can think to describe it is that I hold things much more internally than I did a few years ago. I am around many fewer people that I know than I was in college. A lot of the accountability afforded by knowing a bunch of guys that I saw day in and day out that were going through similar things with similar interests is sort of lost for me right now. As life has changed, so have my stuggles. What hasn't changed is my need for the freedom, love, forgivness, and discipline of a live lived connected to Christ and to the body.........end of paragraph of imcomplete thoughts.
Today's Rather Normal Playlist:
Hem - Funnel Cloud
Waterdeep - Sink or Swim
The Fray - How to Save a Life (what a catchy disc)
The Violet Burning - Demonstrates Plastic and Elastic
REM - Automatic for the People
1 comment:
Its funny, but your daily chronicle is really interesting. I'm on the edge of my seat here thinking.. "What will he learn from collosians?" "Will he finish the project on time?" "Will Adrian like the way he cleaned the kitchen?" "How will Romo do in the post season?"
All joking aside, its good to hear from a friend that struggles through life the same way I do. Keep up the good fight Kevin.
Post a Comment