I almost didn't go to the Sons of Herman Hall to see Okkervil River last night. It is always a hassle to turn around and go back down to Deep Ellum after getting home from work. I had skipped going the past two times they were in town, so I decided I would suck it up and go.
The night started off a little slow for me. At least the Sons had chairs. I wasn't overly impressed by the one man band that started off the show. The next band to play was Pleasant Grove. It was my second time to see them, and I was left with pretty much the same impression as the first time. They are a good band, but nothing that special. I enjoy the music, but live they just don't pack too much of a punch.
By the time Okkervil River came out, I was ready for some energy to come from the stage, and the band obliged. The one other time I had seen them, I thought they were a good live band. Last night they upped their standing in my mind's list of great live bands. They have been touring nearly non-stop for a while, and it really shows. Will Sheff is a great front man, and the band is really tight. I once heard Okkervil River's music described as "Pirate Rock." I think the person who said that meant it as an insult, but it works as a good description for me. They make interesting music with literate lyrics, and the songs translate really well live. The song selection was great. They hit most of my favorites while throwing in some new songs and even a Fleetwood Mac cover. The high point of the night for me was Westfall. It is a murder song that would make Johnny Cash or Nick Cave proud, and they really tear into it live. This was a great show at a great venue, and I look forward to more shows at the Sons and more shows with Okkervil River.
No comments:
Post a Comment