Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Female Experiment

The past two days at work have included mostly keeping my head down, headphones on, and coding away. I decided early yesterday to try a theme out with my music listening while I was doing so much coding. I decided that the theme of the day would be female artists. At the end of yesterday, I still hadn't had my fill, so I decided to do it all over again today. I don't listen to a whole lot of female artists on a regular basis, but I did have plenty of variety to keep things interesting for the past two days. Here's the list of albums that I listened to most of:

Hem - Eveningland
Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
Neko Case - The Tigers Have Spoken
Julie Miller - Broken Things
Over the Rhine - Ohio
My Brightest Diamond - My Brightest Diamond
Allison Krauss and Union Station - Live
Rosie Thomas - If Songs Could Be Held
Bettie Serveert - Lamprey
Cat Power - You Are Free
Bosque Brown - Bosque Brown Plays Mara Lee Miller

All in all, I would say that the female experiement made for some pretty good listening over the past two days. Here are my three main observations:
1.) I don't care what anyone else says, Joanna Newsom is great. She may not be for everyone, but The Milk-Eyed Mender was possibly my favorite disc of the bunch.
2.) Sometimes I need some angrier music than females tends to make, though Cat Power did work out ok.
3.) I can't believe I made it through the female experiment without listening to a single Patty Griffin album.

I think I will try another theme tomorrow. I am leaning towards all 80s at the moment. I am sure you will be waiting by your computer in eager anticipation of reading how that goes. As a final thought.....everyone should own all three seasons of Arrested Development on DVD.

No comments: