I've been interested in autobiographies for a long time. It like to hear what people have to say about themselves. Some of the ones I have read were better than others, but every one I can remember had at least some redeeming factors. I think it takes a little bit of pretentiousness to end up writing a book about yourself. Of course before it actually gets published, it also takes someone who thinks that you are important enough to merit a book, or probably more likely, considered interesting or extreme enough to make some money on.
The autobiography I just finished was Gene Wilder's, Kiss Me Like a Stranger. It was a little less funny than I had thought, but it certainly was interesting. Lots of name drops like there tend to be in books like this, but I guess they aren't really name drops when they are the people you really know. When you've been married to Gilda Radner, been Willy Wonka, been in and written multiple movies with Mel Brooks, and done multiple movies with Richard Pryor, you've certainly met some interesting people along the way. He has led a fascinating life and wrote a pretty interest book about it.
He didn't sugar coat the things. He hasn't been great with relationships. He is selfish. Honestly, at the end of the book, I didn't have a great feeling up being uplifted by an inspiring life that has overcome so many obstacles, I was struck more by thinking how close I could be to a guy like him. My personality is pretty similar. I am not and will never be a talented actor and writer, but I could give in to my natural tendency to spend a lot of time inside myself. I could destroy relationships by remaining so concerned with my own needs that I don't enjoy my time with people. I could always look for the next best thing to come rather than enjoying a moment. I'm hopeful that I have learned and am learning enough to keep that from being my story.
Playlist:
Why? - Alopecia
The Choir - Chase the Kangaroo
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Iron and Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
Half Handed Cloud - Thy is A Word & Feet Need Lamps
Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Hood - Outside Closer
Murder By Death - Who Will Survive and What Will Be Left of Them?
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
Robert Deeble - Thirteen Stories
Rainer Maria - Long Knives Drawn
Zao - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest
Low - Drums and Guns
The Frames - For the Birds
The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
No comments:
Post a Comment