Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Murray Outrage

Its been fun to get out on the roads of my neighborhood on my bike. I was probably in 8th grade or so when I last rode the old lime green Murray mountain bike that I had as a kid. To get all the way across campus in 20 minutes, I tried the bike thing for a semester, but that never really worked out. The old lime green bike was the one I really remember. I rode the streets of my old neighborhood hundreds of times on it. I even had a cheapo speedometer/odometer/timer on it that added to the entertainment. How fast could I make the loop? How fast could I get going on the straightaways? I was out having fun. I didn't have anything better to do. I wasn't going anywhere in particular.

I've come to really like city life, but riding around the neighborhood these past couple of days has reminded me of how nice and peaceful things were when I remembered that its ok for life to move slower. It's nice to ride around in circles without really getting anywhere. It's nice to see folks walking their dogs. It's nice to see a kid playing baseball in his front yard. It all reminds me to slow down and enjoy. There are tons of ways I have been blessed that I neglect to see because of the pace of life.

It seems like I always come up with something "better" to do than slow down. It just seems to be my nature to stay on the go. Me being busy too often doesn't mean I am being productive either. I am starting to see some ground being taken back though. Life feels like it has slowed down, but I am still getting more done. When I go through seasons like this, I always wonder how I let myself get so stuck in the routine of going and going without accomplishing a thing other than spent time and money. I guess the comfort of that laziness is too easy. I'm thankful that God has used a couple of trips around the block to remind me of the life that is found in slowing down and really getting something done.

This Week's Playlist:
Ben Folds - Songs for Silverman
Mike Knott and Noah Reimer - Mother Nation
Efterklang - Parades
Robert Johnson - The Blues
Why? - Elephant Eyelash
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
Love Spit Love - Love Spit Love
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga
The National - Boxer
Waterdeep - Heart Attack Time Machine
Woven Hand - Woven Hand

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it called "The Murray Outrage"?

Kevin said...

That was the name of the lime green bike.