Friday, April 28, 2006

Half-Handed Cloud

It has been a busy week of events for me. With my new found enjoyment for the game of basketball and particularly the Mavericks, I made it out to both of the first two playoff games to see them beat up on the Grizzlies. My lack of knowing many people here that I hang out with has led me to partake in most of these things by myself (aside from that first basketball game that my wonderful wife came to). Tucked away in a week of work, basketball, and another concert (Stavesacre, maybe I'll post about that one day) was a little instore show at Good Records featuring Half-Handed Cloud.

I first stumbled upon Half-Handed Cloud a couple of years ago with Justin and Rebecca at a showcase at SXSW. Based on the Sufjan Steven's connection, we decided to go to an Asthmatic Kitty showcase, where HHC played with Bunky and Castanets. It was a fun night, and ever since I have been hooked on HHC, so it was really fun to get to see him again. One could think of HHC as sort of a Danielson lite. Don't let that scare you though if you don't like Danielson (which by the way would mean that you are really missing out). Even Adrian has willingly listened to HHC. It is mainly one guy from California, John Ringhofer, who sings 1 to 2 minute songs that often sound like twisted Sunday School lessons with some extremely great melodies. If you are itunes or vinyl inclined and want a good introduction pick up the What's the Remedy ep, which I think are some of his best songs. Otherwise, I am also a huge fan of the two newest albums Halos and Lassos, and Thy is a Word and Feet Need Lamps.

No comments: