I have never been much of a fan of action movies. I'd much rather see life portrayed as it is or with a nice comic or poetic twist. Not much about a lot of things blowing up and/or chase scenes appeals to me. I don't know how much that says about my personality, but I don't really like unrealistic escapism. When I want to escape, I choose more realistic things. Lately, that has come in all sorts of forms.
I have been reading a lot. I have blown through about six books so far since the beginning of the year. I have found that by not being quite as ambitious in my choices; I have been able to get a lot more read. I have been enjoying memoir type books. I find that even when I don't relate to or don't really like the writer, I somehow enjoy hearing what he or she has to say. Chuck Klosterman best embodies this. Annoying guy...I've read three of his books in the past few months. It is one of my favorite hobbies, people watching, in book form. The fiction I have read has been pretty good stuff too though. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close really got me. Its tone and story telling devices were entertaining, but still very poignant. Plainsong by Kent Haruf had two of my favorite characters from any book I have ever read. I really admire people that can tell a story be it true or fiction.
The music of David Wilcox has hit that need for sometimes poetic and sometimes humorous escape. I enjoy a lot of his music, but I have been pretty stuck on the song Eye of the Hurricane. It's probably the closest thing he has ever had to a hit. The particular version of the song that I can't quit listening to is from his album Live Stories and Songs. It is just a him singing and playing guitar with a very nice background of a violin. It starts with a short story about the meaning of the song. He says it's a song about addiction. I only sort of truly understand addiction, but I very much understand the idea of thinking I am in control of things that I am not. Staying inside what I know is calm and think is safe even when life is moving very fast around me something I can certainly relate to. It always ends somehow though and the reality of the situation has to be addressed.
I haven't been watching a whole lot of movies, but I have kept up with a few tv shows. as been Friday Night Lights. I don't quite know why I have latched on to this show. It somehow balances overly dramatic high school soap opera with some of the most authentic portrayals of relationships of any television show I have ever watched. That is what has kept me watching when I could care less about high school football. The conflicts resolve themselves more like they do in real life than your typical show. Sure there are some cliche's. Smash finally made it to play college football. Saracen got benched, but I somehow figure he will end up the season as a hero. Probably that hero story will end with him ending up with Julie. Regardless of what happens, the getting there is fascinating and really well done. The Taylors are portrayed as a real family. Arguements and all. It is a refreshing thing to see.
Life has needed some small escapes. Things are going well, but the path to getting there hasn't necessarily been smooth. I'm thankful for the strength to face things, and also for the little escapes.
Just Finished Reading:
The Last Picture Show - Larry McMurtry
Loser Goes First - Dan Kennedy
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer
Take the Cannoli - Sarah Vowell
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
Killing Yourself to Live - Chuck Klosterman
Currently Reading:
Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
The Plot Against America - Phillip Roth
Recent Playlist:
The Violet Burning - Lipstick and Dynamite Wonder
Over the Rhine - Good Dog, Bad Dog
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Twothirthyeight - Regulate the Chemicals
Ben Folds - Ben Folds Live
Common Children - Skywire
Doug Burr - On Promenade
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
Travis - The Invisible Band
The Smiths - Meat is Murder
Aireline - Ocean Songs from the Year of the Horse
Embodyment - The Narrow Scope of Things
David Wilcox - Home Again
The Knife - Silent Shout
Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Garth Brooks - No Fences
The Khrusty Brothers - Jonas Is Back
Morrissey - Bona Drag
David Wilcox - Live Stories and Songs
Fiction Family - Fiction Family
Defiance, Ohio - The Great Depression
A.C. Newman - Get Guilty
Doug Burr - The Shawl
No comments:
Post a Comment