Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Musical Rut

Life has been going pretty good lately, but one big part of me hasn't been doing so hot. I've been in a bit of a musical rut again. I'll never understand why it is that even with an ipod full of music at my disposal; I get to the point where nothing sounds remotely interesting. When it comes to that, I hit up some old standbys and eventually something new will come along and pique my interest enough that I will get out of the rut. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Through this latest rut, I have found myself listening to a lot more podcasts. The one that has gotten the most listening out of me has been This American Life. Not being a big NPR listener, I am pretty late to the game, but it has quickly become a favorite of mine. Every week it is a couple of stories based on some theme. I have always loved this sort of stuff. It is pretty much the podcast version of a favorite pastime of mine, people watching. You never quite know what you are going to get from week to week. Sometimes the story is sad, sometimes they are funny, sometimes they are really politically loaded. They are almost always interesting though.

Mostly Rut Friendly Recent Playlist With Only A Few Disappointments:
Shearwater - Rook
Stavesacre - Speakeasy
Doug Burr - On Promenade
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Woven Hand - Consider the Birds
Lambchop - Aw C'mon
Wye Oak - If Children
Joe Purdy - You Can Tell Georgia
Colin Herring - Past Life Crashing
Bill Mallonee - Permafrost
The Violet Burning - Demonstrates Plastic and Elastic
Justin Rosolino - Wonderlust
The Cure - Faith
The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
Vigilantes of Love - Audible Sigh
Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
Elton John - Rocket Man
Justice - Cross
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Struck Last May - 16 Flowers
My Brightest Diamond - A Thousand Shark's Teeth
Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention my favorite song...