Monday, November 05, 2007

The Crotchety Old Man Goes Out On A Friday

I haven't been making it out to too many shows lately, but I did get to one on Friday night. After coming pretty close to skipping out, my faithful concert going buddy and I made it to the House of Blues to see Spoon and The New Pornographers. The show was really crowded and as was pointed out to me, I am getting crotchety. It was my first trip into the House of Blues though, and I was impressed. Sure it is owned by a big mean corporation and sure they would like you to leave the show through their store, but the Gypsy Tea Room didn't hold a candle to this place. The sight lines were great and the sound was much better.

The show started out with a set from Emma Pollock I really got into a couple of Delgado's albums a while back, but I really wasn't liking her new disc, Watch the Fireworks, very much. Live, the songs were much more enjoyable though. Too bad I am getting old and don't really have the legs to stand for hours on end watching shows anymore. Her set was the kind of set I would have really enjoyed a few years ago, but Friday, I just wanted the show to move on.

Up next, the New Pornographers came with a great set. They were the big draw to this show for me. I was excited to hear that Neko Case would be along for this tour, and that was what pushed me over the edge to buy the overpriced tickets. They make some great fun music, and being able to see the whole band playing together was a treat. Dan Bejar only made it out for a few songs, but they were certainly memorable. They might have sold the song out to the University of Phoenix, but The Bleeding Heart Show was incredible to see live. It was definitely the highlight of the night for me. I've never cared much about selling out anyway.

Spoon is a band that I like to listen to from time to time, but I wouldn't claim them as a favorite. They came out and played a great set. Lots of noise and lots of singing along. The crowd was eating it up. I was getting pretty tired by the end of their set, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good they were. It was a good night of music.

Recent Playlist:
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Twothirtyeight - You Should Be Living
Blonde Redhead - 23
Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of the Bewilderbeast
The National - Boxer
Namelessnumberheadman - Your Voice Repeating
The New Pornographers - Twin Cinema
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Hem - Rabbit Songs
Low - Trust
Sigur Ros - Takk
Woven Hand - Consider the Birds
The Mountain Goats - Tallahasses
Morrissey - You Are the Quarry
Jens Lekman - Night Falls of Kortedala
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice
Andrew Osenga - Letter to the Editor, Vol 1
Over the Rhine - The Trumpet Child
Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals
A Northern Chorus - The Millions Too Many
Earlimart - Everyone Down Here
St. Vincent - Marry Me
Tom Brosseau - Cavalier
The Cave Singers - Invitation Songs

No comments: