Listening to it again as I wandered around town this evening reminded me of why I love the album Lipstick and Dynamite Wonder by the Violet Burning so much. I think I would have to stay out of a bad mood for a very long time for it to fall from a list of my all time favorites. I know I have written about it before here when I was listing my favorite albums, but I can guarantee that it hit me completely differently today than it did when I wrote that. I didn't want to be comforted tonight, but like always the album again had me close to tears.
The album is very dark, but with enough hope that it doesn't go over the edge. I love swirling guitars, and this album is full of them. There are so many layers of sound to each song, and such desperation in Michael Pritzl's voice. I don't know the whole back story, but it would be safe to say that things weren't going too well for him at the time he was writing these songs.
I came here
looking for love
reaching for your love in the dark
but you were fading
and I'm blind
stone blind
and I can't reach you
- from Blind
Have I gone too far?
lately, it's more than just a little bit hard
cause I'm caught underwater breathing
breathing is hard
- from Underwater
Things are rough right now, but there's some hope.
Today's playlist:
The Violet Burning - Lipstick and Dynamite Wonder
Smile Smile - Blue Roses
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Sound Team - Movie Monster
Devotchka - How It Ends
A Northern Chorus - Bitter Hands Resign
Jens Lekman - You are the Light EP
Monday, March 19, 2007
Lipstick and Dynamite Wonder
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment