Thursday, October 19, 2006

Creativity

I don't consider myself to be much of a creative type. Sometimes I will have what I think is a decent idea for something, but ultimately I end up not being able to execute that idea very well. I am not a musician. I am not a writer. I am not a photographer. I am not a painter. All this being said, I really love to see, experience and be as much a part of creative things as I possibly can. Going to a show, reading a book, or seeing any sort of visual art often inspires me. Most of the time I feel like I don't have much a outlet for that inspiration. Creativity isn't always the most desired trait in an employee in my line of work. We solve problems and do as we are told. We don't ask questions or make suggestions. That is for the "idea" people.

I have always had friends that are far more creative than me. I love being around these people because I feel like I get to be a small part of what they do. Hearing an idea and then some time later getting to hear, read, or see the final product is my way of vicariously being an "artist." I am glad that I have been blessed with having these people in my life. They help keep me sane. It always amaze me how God uses people in our lives to provide balance. Just when I think that I am about to drown in techie-ness, He will provide an opportunity to help put things back in perspective. This helps me to focus more on the things that truly matter and His purposes.

With my work day in and day out, I really need the help. I have made the comment before that I am the worst techie ever. I don't truly enjoy technology like a lot of nerds I know. I have very little interest in staying up to date on the latest greatest innovation and software tools. I like to solve problems, and I like to help people. At this point in my life, the best way for me to do that is as a computer guy. I don't see myself doing it forever, but for now, I need to be a little more content with it than I am some days. I apologize for the rambling, but hey, what would a blog be with out some rambling. If I wanted everything to always be well thought out and organized before I posted it, there would be maybe two posts on this thing.

No comments: