Friday, September 29, 2006

The Start of Vacation

Well, vacation finally started for me at about 5:30 yesterday. In about 7 hours, we will be getting on a plane and heading to Kauai. By this time tomorrow, we'll be listening to the ocean from our balcony. I decided to kick my vacation off yesterday like one might imagine I would do. I drove up to Denton to see Woven Hand at Rubber Gloves.


Yesterday while walking to lunch I came across a modern day self-appointed prophet (or well I guess who am I to assume, maybe he really was a prophet) telling about the end times and how America had made a deal with the devil. Last night, I got to see a guy who was much more reminiscent of an Old Testament prophet than the lunch guy would probably ever be. On their 4 albums, Woven Hand is a band made up of David Eugene Edwards and whoever else seems to be around. DEE had some minor fame with a band a little while back named Sixteen Horsepower, but since their demise, he has focused on Woven Hand. Last night, Woven Hand was one guy with just a few instruments on the stage singing and playing songs his songs that sound as if they are from another time. The songs are sparse but still just as haunting. They are old and weathered and sound like they have been sung for ages. DEE is as intense a performer as you would ever see. He knows how to command a room. I can't think of much of a better way to start a vacation than standing in the stunned silent crowd watching.

I'll be back in a week with stories of time well spent on little island in the middle of the ocean with my wonderful wife.

No comments: