Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The emusic Recommendations Begin

On the basis of my superior taste in music, I have convinced Swaffy to join emusic and download albums based on my recommendations. About once a week, I will give him recommendations of at least 1 album, and he will at least give it a listen and decide whether to download it. Really I don't have superior taste in music, but I do like to search out new and different bands, and emusic is a fun and relatively cheap way to do it. For you who are unfamiliar with emusic, it is a music download subscription service that maybe you would love or maybe you would hate. You aren't going to find much of anything that you would hear on the radio, but you can find a lot of great stuff from a lot of great artists that are a further outside of the mainstream. If you are interested in joining, let me know. I can send you an invitation...you get some free music, I get some free music...it is a win win situation.

I suppose I will start some recommendations. This week, I will do two eps.

Half Handed Cloud ~ What's the Remedy? - I think I have mentioned this ep in a post about going to see Half Handed Cloud. HHC is a bit hard on the download count since the albums have over 20 songs a piece, but this is a good start into a fun band. It clocks in at about 7 minutes, but these are some really good songs.

Jens Lekman ~ Maple Leaves - This is my favorite of the three Jens Lekman eps I have. All of the songs are included on the Oh You're So Silent Jens album that was released earlier this year, but I think this is a good start into his music.

I'll be interested to hear what Swaffy thinks. I think he has heard both of these with me before, but he might not have given them too much attention. If anyone else wants to play along, feel free to do so and post comments. It would be pretty fun to do this on a bigger scale. I did open up comments to anyone, so you don't have to have a blogspot login to post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Half-Handed Cloud was cool, and I really enjoyed it! So I went ahead and downloaded the "Thy is a word and feet need lamps" cd, because I had 16 free downloads left on my free trial after downloading the other two eps. Free trials are the greatest!

I liked the last four songs on the ep better then "We're not getting well." Maybe I will like it more the next few times I listen to it. All of their songs are really short though. What is up with that?

I liked "Maples Leaves" and "Black Cab" on the Jens ep, but the other two songs I didn't really enjoy all that much. He reminded me of an old school night club singer from the 50s or something. I don't think I would download the other eps from him because he just didn't really tickle my fancy. I did like those two songs though.

Bring on some more songs.