So here I figured I would finish my listing of favorite albums. Enough talk, here goes with 5 more of the albums that are amongst my favorites at this point in time.
Over The Rhine ~ Drunkard's Prayer - This album has so much to it. This is a great album for everyone, but it is especially great for those folk who are married. Here's a quick back story on this album. Karen and Linford, the two main people who make up Over the Rhine, are married. Shortly after the beginning of a tour for their previous (and also really good) album Ohio they realized that though the music was good, their marriage was on auto-pilot, and was going nowhere. They dumped the rest of the tour and went home to work on that part of their lives. Out of that hurt, healing, confusion, prayer, and time came this amazing disc. Together they have put together an album that is as raw and beautiful as any album I have ever heard.
The Cure ~ Disintegration - I always thought I hated the Cure. Robert Smith still creeps me out to a certain degree, but this album was my introduction to what has become one of my favorite bands. Dark brooding songs, fun pop songs, interesting music is all over this disc. It is one of those 80s albums that everyone should own.
Vigilantes of Love ~ Audible Sigh - Bill Mallonee is one of my favorite songwriters. I have just about every album he has ever put out, but this one is in my mind his most complete album. The songs are strong, the playing is top notch, and the themes are stirring. On top of that, I'll always love his fascination with trains. If I ever got around to a listing of my favorite songs, it would surely include several Bill Mallonee songs, and there is a good chance that none of them would be from this album, but when I want to listen to a lot of Bill Mallonee, this is the album I go to.
Low ~ Things We Lost in the Fire - On paper Low sounds like an extremely boring band. Three people playing their instruments pretty very slowly. When it comes together though, it makes for such a great listen. This disc has some great atmosphere and vocal harmonies. I think I could fall asleep to this disc every night (and I mean that in a really good way).......if it wouldn't drive my wife nuts.
Sufjan Stevens ~ Michigan - I will preface this blurb by saying that I think Illinoise is a better album. This list isn't about best albums though, it is about my favorites. This album is quite an adventure. It was my introduction to Sufjan, and as such, it will always be one of my favorites. He does so many things so well, and this album shows a lot of that.
Well, there's the list, and for today, I'm sticking to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment