Friday, May 08, 2009

Five Years

Five years ago this weekend, I signed my lease on my first apartment in a new city. A few days later, Dallas became my home. I became a computer programmer. I was on my own in a big city. I was mostly self sufficient. All in all, I sort of became an adult.

My first year was quite a change. I realized that I am pretty well suited for city life. I like movement. I like variety. I like the sort of adventure that comes with living in a city. I spent a lot of evenings that first year wandering around the Metroplex. I found my way around pretty well. I could navigate the entire area based on Half Price Books locations. When I wasn't driving around exploring, I was watching movies. I watched a lot of movies that year. I spent a lot of weekends on the road to College Station. I didn't really get to know many folks that first year. I had fun and wouldn't trade that time for anything, but it was a lonely time. I got used to being by myself. I went to concerts by myself. I went to dinner by myself. I spent six hours on the road most weekends by myself.

Things have changed a lot since those days. I got married. I quit that first job and started a new one. I bought a house. I got a dog. I became a Mavs fan. Life moves faster now. I don't seem to have as much time as I did. I have changed in a lot of ways. Some good, some bad. I try to be a good husband/worker/friend/son/brother/follower. I succeed at those things to varying degrees at different times.

Who knows where I will be in another five years. I hope that I am able to love and communicate with my wife better than I do now. I hope that I am able to contribute better at work in ways that suit my gifts better. I hope that I am steps closer to finding my place. Until then, I can only be thankful for where I've been, where I'm at. I have been blessed, and regardless of how I see things in individual moments, that fact does not change.

Recent Playlist:
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
New York Dolls - 'Cause I Said So
Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson - S/T
The New Year - The New Year
Over the Rhine - Ohio
Mount Righteous - When the Music Starts
Marching Band - Spark Large
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
Eef Barzelay - Lose Big
Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
Subtle - Exiting Arm
The Choir Practice - S/T
Smog - Burning Kingdom
Bottom of the Hudson - Fantastic Hawk
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
Other Lives - S/T
Ride - Nowhere
Telekinesis - S/T
Slint - Spiderland
Mates of State - Team Boo

No comments: