2007 in music was a pretty good year. I spent a lot of time listening to older stuff this year, but I still had plenty of new stuff. Time will tell how my favorite albums from the year stack up, but here is the list in no particular order.
Doug Burr - On Promenade - A late addition to my collection, but this disc may be my favorite of the year. I had an inkling I would like it when I heard Should've Known a long time back, but as soon as I saw him open for Bill Mallonee and play several other tracks, I knew it would be really good.
The National - Boxer - This is probably the disc I listened to most this year. I always avoided this band for various reasons, but once I finally gave in and got this album I knew what all of the hype was about. It hooked me about 30 seconds into Fake Empire, and I kept listening the rest of the year.
Blonde Redhead - 23 - I have liked Blonde Redhead for several years, but I never quite had an entire disc that stayed in my rotation. That was before 23 came out.
Low - Drums and Guns - Not your typical Low, but they seem to be relishing that with the last couple of albums. This one is more sparse and has more electronics to it than anything they have ever done, but somehow it sounds just like Low.
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - I thought this one would have more staying power with me than it did, but it sort of fell off my radar by the fall. It is still one of the best albums to come out this year though. Keep the Cars Running might be my favorite song of the year.
Menomena - Friend or Foe - I could never get into I Am the Fun Blame Monster, so it took me a while to get Friend or Foe. This is a really fun disc that got a lot of listens from me this year.
St. Vincent - Marry Me - I've always been a bit of a sucker for this sort of artist. Quirky intricate songs. Great vocals.
The New Pornographers - Challengers - A lot of reviews of this disc said that it was a weak New Pornographers album, but I have to humbly disagree. Each disc gets a little slicker, but there are still some really great stuff here.
A Place to Bury Strangers - A Place to Bury Strangers - I don't do much heavy stuff these days. I don't know if I am getting old, but some of the fun has worn off. I'll always hold a special place for extremely well constructed noise though. This disc is full of those that.
The Polyphonic Spree - The Fragile Army - As with both other Spree albums, I had to hear these songs done live before I fully appreciated them. After seeing these songs flow so well with everything else, I was convinced that this is a great Polyphonic Spree album, not just them trying to reach for something a little more radio friendly.
Top 3 Shows of 2007:
Morrissey at the Palladium - Shortly after this show, I still wasn't sure if I was just so amazed by this show because I had low expectations or if it was really really good. Many months later, I can safely say it was that it was really really good. I have been on quite a Morrissey/Smiths kick ever since.
The Polyphonic Spree Christmas Extravaganza - I just wrote about that one.
Low at the Palladium - It was sad that so few people were in such a huge room for this show. This show was amazing from start to finish. Their songs are so intense in a live setting. I was very glad to have been in the handful of people that got to see this one.
1 comment:
Once upon a time there was a girl who left comments. The end.
Post a Comment