Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Not That Again

A year and four days ago, I started a month long posting spree. I'm not going to try that again. I started it in an attempt to get some things out of my system. Things weren't going the greatest at the time, and I was hoping that the posting would help me think through some things. I posted every day, but I think the main lasting change that came out of the spree was a lot of boring posts. I'll go back and read a few of them, but I'd gather that my outlook hasn't changed as much as I would have hoped. I still try to do way too much on my own. I may even be more prone to that now than I was a year ago.

I am finally doing a little bit better of a job of getting more people involved. I've started going to a gathering called Celebrate Recovery at my church. It is an interesting sort of thing. 12 steps and a serenity prayer and all that jazz. I've never done a drug in my life. I'm not a drinker. I can't stand to gamble. All of the things that are usually associated with the need to recover are not problems that are real to me. Many of the people there are dealing with things that really put my issues into perspective.

What I am liking about it so far is that the shot of perspective is balanced with a realization that everyone has problems that they struggle with. There is no need to rate problems as bigger or smaller; just the knowledge that we can't do things on our own. The need for God's intervention is the common thread. While I can't relate to everyone's stuggles directly, I can rejoice in the healing that He provides.

It is still a really weird thing to be a part of. I have stood back for a couple of years saying that I know this would be good for me, but I don't care to be involved. It is a bit of a struggle to go after a long day of work, especially when there are "better" things to do. Past that, it is a struggle to actually speak out and let down my guard. God is bringing me around to the idea of it though.

Playlist:
Doug Burr - On Promenade
Over the Rhine - Live from Nowhere Vol 1
The Submarines - Declare a New State!
Northern Room - Only Seconds EP
James Blackshaw - The Cloud of Unknowing
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
The Normals - Coming to Life
Rafter - Music for Total Chickens
U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Aaron Sprinkle - Bareface
A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder
Pedro the Lion - It's Hard to Find a Friend
Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses
The Innocence Mission - Birds of My Neighborhood
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
namelessnumberheadman - Wires Reply

No comments: